Consumerist: Malaysia’s Top 10 Liars Award Goes To?
Of late, we have an over pouring of statements from past politicians, politicians, aspiring politicians and worst NGO pretenders!
What is vulgar is no one really believes them any more, except a small core group of die hard supporters who want the status quo to continue, enjoying the falls of the gravy train!
SOME and among them, I am advised even a former head of state whose comments have been quite disturbing indeed to today’s enlightened demograph of thinking and intelligent Malaysians!
Worst, some have called him an actor, a self serving individual with a warped mind, others a pathological liar and very selective in his comments and world view!
But since it has come up who is a Pathological liar – or “mythomaniacs” as some define them as?
Some say that they individuals may be suffering from histrionic personality disorder or narcissistic personality disorder.
I did some research since ‘a day does not go by’ without either politicians, or some unheard of NGO head or wanna be politicians or worst myopic vision media practitioners saying something or another!
And the following comments basically reflect a pathological liar who has the characteristics of histrionic personality disorder.
• Exaggerates things that are ridiculous.
• One-upping. Whatever you do, this person can do it better. You will never top them in their own mind, because they have a concerted need to be better than everyone else. This also applies to being right. If you try to confront an individual like this, no matter how lovingly and well-intentioned you might be – this will probably not be effective. It’s threatening their fantasy of themselves, so they would rather argue with you and bring out the sharp knives than admit that there’s anything wrong with them.
• They “construct” a reality around themselves. They don’t value the truth, especially if they don’t see it as hurting anyone. If you call them on a lie and they are backed into a corner, they will act very defensively and say ugly things (most likely but depends on personality), but they may eventually start to act like, “Well, what’s the difference? You’re making a big deal out of nothing!” (again, to refocus the conversation to your wrongdoing instead of theirs).
• Because these people don’t value honesty, a lot of times they will not value loyalty. So watch what you tell them. They will not only tell others, but they will embellish to make you look worse. Their loyalty is fleeting, and because they are insecure people, they will find solace in confiding to whomever is in their favor at the moment.
• They may be somewhat of a hypochondriac. This can come in especially useful when caught in a lie, for example, they can claim that they have been sick, or that there’s some mysteriously “illness” that has them all stressed out. It’s another excuse tool for their behavior.
• Obviously, they will contradict what they say. This will become very clear over time. They usually aren’t smart enough to keep track of so many lies (who would be?).
They lie about even the smallest things. For example, saying “I brushed my teeth today,” when they didn’t.
• They add exaggerations to every sentence.
• They change their story all the time.
• They act very defensively when you question their statements.
• They believe what they say is true, when everyone else knows it isn’t.
If that was not bad enough they:
• Lie when it is very easy to tell the truth.
• Lie to get sympathy, to look better, to save their butt, etc and they
• Fool people at first but once they get to know him, no one believes anything they ever say and they
• May have a personality disorder or they are
• Extremely manipulative and they
• Has been caught in lies repeatedly. But sadly they
• Never fesses up to the lies because they think they are ‘untouchable’ or
• Is a legend in their own mind.
I wonder who are the top 30 most illustrious liars in Malaysia today?
I am deeply sorry no Ferrari or Lamborghini for this contest!